Assess the effectiveness of the design of a place at three different scales. Analyze how well
the places meet: a) transportation goals listed in the instructions AND, b) TWO additional
general goals (for each scale) such as those you wrote about in assignment 1. Pick locations
that have some flaws to make the paper more interesting and to provide opportunity for
substantial recommendations for modification.
By analyze places, I mean provide a detailed examination of the elements or structure of the
place in order to answers the question in the instructions. Utilize readings. For each scale
address these questions.
1. Identify characteristics of the place that support or are antithetical to TWO desired goals
(in addition to the goals below).
How common or prominent is that characteristic(s)?
Quantify the occurrence if possible.
Map the occurrence if possible.
4. Goal: safety. Assess safety for each mode. Quantify and map.
5. Goal: comfort. Assess comfort for each mode (temperature, obstacles, noise, beauty).
Quantify and map
6. Goal: convenience. Assess convenience for each mode (such as walk distance).
Quantify and map.
: analyze a building site (a building and the land that it sits upon under the
same ownership) in the way they meet the objectives listed below. You MUST visit the site.
In addition to 1 through 6 above, also answer these questions.
7. How walkable is each site? Why?
8. Which mode of travel is best accommodated by each site? Why?
9. Recommend modifications to improve the site relative to the above goals.
<<MORE ON BACK>>
: assess a street segment. You MUST visit these street(s). In addition to 1
through 6 above, also answer these questions.
7. What is the design speed in mph? How did you approximate the design speed?
8. Recommend modifications to the street to address design speed. What are your goals
for modifying the design speed (why modify design speed)?
Community travel observation and analysis:
In addition to 1 through 6 above, do the following: Without a car, but in any other way that
you choose, visit the grocery store and back or go to the elementary school nearest you
and back. The trip must be at least 1/4mile away, but if it is more than 1.5 miles away, pick
a different destination that is still a neighborhood destination but is closer to your home.
7. Recommend three modifications
regardless of scale / at any scale
to increase the
likelihood your neighbors would make the same trip without a car.
8. Assess the effectiveness of the street network in the community (approximately 200
not just the path you took.
Photos, drawings, maps and diagrams are helpful to summarize and reinforce your analysis
Be creative: consider some plausible, but big ticket changes that may not normally be
feasible given the costs of construction/ reconstruction.
Dont forget to assess buildings and urban design in addition to the design/ function of
Will be assessed upon the following criteria:
i. Followed instructions 20
ii. Quality of the analysis 15
iii. Quantification and mapping or analysis 15
iv. Quality of the writing 20
v. Drawing upon lessons and readings 15
vi. Analysis of land use in addition to streets 15